Make a difference by joining our orphaned rhinos program where you will be responsible for hand rearing and rehabilitating baby orphaned rhinos. Volunteers will get a chance to help with rehabilitation work including feeding, treatment and care for the rhinos. They will also help with the other animals at the center including giraffe, wildebeest, waterbuck, kudu and additional primates.
As a volunteer you will learn the processes involved in caring for sick and orphaned animals and will become responsible for the continued development of the animals. Volunteers will learn how to do the precise preparation of the formula for the smaller rhinos, which are being hand-reared. The volunteer team will lead the bottle-feeding and keep careful records of these rhinos feeding behavior, weight gain and development.
Volunteers will also be responsible for helping with the maintenance of the orphanage which includes cleaning, preparing food for any and all animals in care and assisting in any way possible.
- All Day
- Volunteers arrive at the facility. Upon arrival volunteers will be welcomed and shown to their accommodation. Once settled in, volunteers are given a full orientation and will learn about the weeks activities.
Monday, Wednesday - Friday
- 6:30AM - 8:30AM
- Volunteer will prepare the food and do the first feeding for all animals as well as clean the enclosures
- 8:30AM - 10:00AM
- Team Meeting and Breakfast
- 10:00AM - 12:30PM
- Morning acitivity; including, preparing the feedings for the rest of the day and sanctuary maintenance
- 12:30PM - 5PM
- Lunch and afternoon activitie which includes feeding animals and other activities.
Saturday - Sunday
- All Day
- Volunteers have the option of helping with the rhinos or can use their weekends to plan and participate an excurions
|Schedule||6:30AM - 8:30AM||8:30AM - 10:00AM||10:00AM - 12:30PM||12:30PM - 5PM|
|Tuesday||Volunteers arrive at the facility. Upon arrival volunteers will be welcomed and shown to their accommodation. Once settled in, volunteers are given a full orientation and will learn about the weeks activities.|
|Monday, Wednesday - Friday||Volunteer will prepare the food and do the first feeding for all animals as well as clean the enclosures||Team Meeting and Breakfast||Morning acitivity; including, preparing the feedings for the rest of the day and sanctuary maintenance||Lunch and afternoon activitie which includes feeding animals and other activities.|
|Saturday - Sunday||Volunteers have the option of helping with the rhinos or can use their weekends to plan and participate an excurions|
Accommodation & Meals
Sleep in the mountains of South Africa.
Volunteers will stay in shared cabins with 2 – 4 other volunteers. Each room is equipped with comfortable beds, en suite bathrooms and electrical outlets. Please note that volunteers will be provided bedding however will need to bring a towel.
Included in this program are 3 meals daily; breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you have any dietary requirements please make us aware prior to your arrival. Please note that if you wish to purchase any additional snacks there will be shop runs each week.
Visit some of South Africa's most beautiful spots.
- Chimpanzee Sanctuary
- Kruger National Park
- Panoramic Route
- Blyde River Canyon
Please note that excursions are at an additional cost.
We take care of everything.
- 3 meals daily
- SIM card
- 2 airport transfers (via bus directly from OR Tambo International Airport to Nelspruit and return from Nelspruit directly to OR Tambo International Airport)
- Welcome pack
- VSA Crew t-shirt
- 24 hour emergency contact number